I still maintain that I hate Wednesdays. They stink. They have stunk for the past two weeks and then some. Thankfully today is Thursday. Last night was not so good. My father in-law has been sick, as many of you know, and we had another scare with his health. He has an infection in his lungs and that’s no bueno. I left work a bit early last night because of it. That’s the good thing about working house to house all day. I couldn’t get this type of flexibility in most places. By the time I got to the hospital I was already in tears. I try to keep myself together and stay positive for everyone else. I guess that’s the counselor in me coming out. I dried the tears as best I could at met hubs at the hospital. 

Overall, there was not much change in his situation. Not better but not any worse either. That was a plus. We all ended up camping out at the hospital because my mother in-law didn’t want to be alone in case something did happen. I can’t say I blame her. When I went home to get an overnight bag together, I threw in some running gear and told hubs that I wanted to run near the hospital before the first visiting hours in the morning. I wanted to run for his dad. He supported it and didn’t even tell me I was insane for it. 

We slept on a “bed” made out of two benches we pushed together and was equal to the size of a double bed. Not the most comfortable of accommodations but I wasn’t going to complain. The waiting room had multiple cubicles for families to sleep in or just hang out and there were a few other people in there. I was wide awake for most of the night. Every time I would get to where I was about to fall asleep I would hear the strangest snore in the world. It was something like a cross between a snore, a gasp, and a cough. Everytime I heard it, I couldn’t help giggling silently which woke hubs up too. I was wide awake to 1 am. And 2 am. I had just fallen asleep when the alarm hubs set for me at 3:45 am went off and he nudged me. (and I was dreaming about getting ready to run…)

I stumbled out of bed and managed to get ready without waking the entire room. I took the elevator downstairs and was delighted to find the air was cool and light. No humidity! I basically ran loops around the hospital, thinking of my father in-law with every step. The path I ran behind the hospital actually could be seen from his room. The streets were well-lit and there wasn’t a lot of people out. I still proceeded with as much caution as I could. I really don’t have the fear gene that most girls I’m friends with do but I’m not entirely stupid about it either. I only had one earbud in and held my phone in my hands for easy access. 

It was one of the best runs I’ve had in a long time. The miles weren’t easy but they weren’t crazy hard either. My feet were light and there was even a breeze. My times weren’t terrible. I did 4 miles in 48 minutes and 36 seconds. 12:09 min/mile. I was utterly pleased and wide awake for the visiting hours. I know I’m not the fastest and I may never be but I am working hard and I’m much farther along than I was a year ago. I’m starting to feel the weight of the lack of sleep now that I’m one client away from the end of the day, though. Thank God for iced coffees! Spin class tomorrow if all is well with hubs’ dad.